Everything You Need to Know About Your Family Doctor
A family practice involves a wide-ranging approach to primary healthcare. It focuses on the whole person. Unlike specialists, a family doctor deals with the clinical, biological, and behavioral sciences. The practice covers all ages and genders.
It also involves all disease entities in each body system. Here is what you need to know about family practice doctors in Orem such as those from Revere Health.
Benefits of Family Medicine
Having a family physician results to the following advantages:
- Improved healthcare quality and lower healthcare costs.
- Easy access to healthcare – Family doctors have better distribution across the country compared to specialists.
- Reduced health disparities – Family doctors provide quality care for people who lack access to quality healthcare.
- Better health in general – People who visit their family doctor on a regular basis receive preventive care. There is better management of chronic diseases. There is also lower risk of premature death.
The Core of Family Medicine
The heart of a family practice in Orem is the relationship between the patient and the doctor. Aside from the common health concerns, family physicians also consider other factors that may affect the patients’ lives. These include community and family relationships.
Family Doctor Services
As the family’s primary care provider, the family physician may offer any of the following services:
- Deliver care for newborns
- Treatment of ICU patients
- Provide care in hospital ER
- Routine OB care
- Various types of procedures – These include colonoscopy, Colposcopy/LEEP, Endoscopy, skin procedures, spirometry, suturing lacerations, vasectomy, and ultrasound imaging.
- Family planning as well as early pregnancy management and evaluation.
Family Doctor’s Training and Education
To practice family medicine, a doctor must complete a comprehensive training after medical school. This includes a 3 to 4-year residency program. The training includes:
- Emergency medicine
- Labor and delivery
- Surgery and procedures
- Hospital medicine
Understand the important role that your family doctor plays in the health of your family. This will help develop trust and a good relationship with your doctor.