Safety Tips for Working in the Kitchen

Safety Tips for Working in the Kitchen

The combination of electricity, water, and hot temperatures can make your kitchen a place full of hazards. It is also the location where majority of home fires start and circuit overloads happen. Identify the potential kitchen hazards and correct them before something happens beyond your control. Here are a few tips for doing this.


  1. Make sure that all your kitchen appliances are unplugged when not in use. Unattended appliances may cause a fire. Moreover, avoid placing non GFCI-protected plugged appliances near the sink, as this poses greater risk of shock.
  2. Do not plug more than one kitchen appliance into the same circuit. It may overload the outlet, the wiring, or the circuit breaker. If you don’t have a sufficient number of outlets in your kitchen, get help from a reliable electrician.
  3. Make sure that your hands are dry before using any electrical appliance. Keep a towel nearby when working in the kitchen and avoid working with water and kitchen appliances at the same time.
  4. Don’t use an oversized lighting fixture in your kitchen. The wrong size of lighting bulb can be dangerous, as it can cause the wiring to overheat and burn. Use the correct light bulb both for proper illumination and to avoid circuit overload.

Make safety your number one priority. Keep your kitchen a safe place by following safety measures and choosing the right appliances. In the event of electrical and wiring problems, don’t try to solve it on your own. Call a reliable electrician to address the problem the right way.