Skin Rash: Does it Signal Something More Serious?

Skin Rash: Does it Signal Something More Serious?

Types of Skin RashesWhile most rashes look similar and are easily treatable, it is not always that simple. You should know that rashes can take in many forms and may appear as blisters, welts, or blotches. They may also be dry, scaly, flaky, and red. Skin rashes, furthermore, can appear in any area of the skin, even your face. Some also respond well OTC creams and medications, while others linger longer.

Most rashes may not be life-threatening, but it still pays to be aware of the signs where it could indicate something more serious. Skin rash treatment centers in Salem note that if you notice the following symptoms, it is best to see a medical professional or a dermatologist:

It covers the body

If the rash is all over your body, it may indicate an allergic reaction or skin infection. If you, for instance, have started a new medication and noticed widespread rashes, it may be a reaction to the medication.

It comes with a fever

You need to have your rash checked out, especially if it is accompanied with pain or fever. It may also be due to an allergic reaction or infection.

It starts to blister

If your rashes begin to blister, it could be due to some things like an allergic reaction, reaction to medication, or any other internal cause. Be sure to see a skin doctor if the blisters start to occur in the skin around your eyes, mouth, or genitals.

It is sudden and spreads quickly

This is may be due to an allergy or reaction to certain medications. If the rash aggravates and breathing becomes difficult, go to the emergency room.

It is infected

You may have an infected rash if you notice pain, swelling, green or yellow fluid, and warmth in the area.

Even if your rash is not making you feel generally unwell, it is best to a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment. This is especially true if your rash is making you feel uncomfortable or affecting your self-confidence. Keep in mind that is better to see a skin doctor or a dermatologist instead of attempting to treat the rash on your own.