A Brief Guide to Keeping Eyes Healthy

A Brief Guide to Keeping Eyes Healthy

EyesMany people still find the term ophthalmologist, optometrist and optician confusing. But, when it comes to taking care of your eyesight, it’s important to understand the differences between these three so you know who to go to, for what, and when, if you need to have your eyes checked.

Which Eye Specialist or Doctor Should You See?

Who you should go to depends on the type and level of eye care you need. Opticians or dispensing opticians fit glasses and makes lenses for correcting various vision issues. Industry professional Fraser Street Optometrists explains that optometrists are eye doctors qualified to provide more intensive vision and eye care including dispensing, refraction, eye disease detection, and rehabilitation of various vision issues. They can conduct eye assessments and give prescriptions for corrective lenses and glasses, while opticians fill those prescriptions.

Ophthalmologists, on the other hand, are also eye doctors specialising in everything that encompasses eye and vision care, which includes diagnosing, managing, and performing surgeries of ocular disorders and diseases.

What Do They Do?

These three eye care specialists commonly work together to accommodate patients’ eyewear and eye care requirements. To illustrate, an optometrist will examine your eyes and then prescribe corrective glasses or contacts. An optician will then help you choose among available options for lens, frames, or contacts. If you require surgery, you may have to consult an ophthalmologist for the proper treatment.

If you have healthy eyes and don’t need specialised treatment or surgery, but just require a regular eye examination, it’s up to you to decide who to consult. Both ophthalmologists and optometrists can conduct eye check-ups. Not to mention they are highly trained in detecting, diagnosing, and treating common eye issues.

But, when you have an existing vision problem, including cataracts, macular degeneration, or glaucoma, you must work with an eye specialist who is knowledgeable in treating and managing your specific eye condition.